- Solar fully powers our lights, computers, fridges and freezers of our Marrickville Food Pantry and office. We installed rooftop solar in 2017. Every year this reduces our CO2 emissions by 16 tonnes.
- Our rooftop solar powers our food rescue collection vehicle. In 2021 our EV, named Flynn, became our second collection food rescue vehicle. Fully electric, Flynn is plugged in and recharged each day.
- The new commercial-grade kitchen in our Hall is solar powered. In early 2022 we installed batteries and rooftop solar. Chefs will prepare meals for our Food Pantries, plus we will have cooking workshops for community members in need.
170 trees at Addi Road
We care for and maintain the 170 trees at Addi Road and employ arborists each year to do this specialist work. These trees provide habitat for birds, insects and animals, along with shade, water retention and reduced urban heat.
We have an significant canopy of heritage, Queensland box trees along our entry road, Vivi Koutsounadis Drive. To protect the roots of these grand trees from soil compaction and erosion we constructed wooden decking platforms around each tree in 2018. These platforms also provide space for recreation, social interaction and community events.
Addi Road sits at the top of the north Marrickville catchment for the former Gumbramorra swamp, which flows into the Cooks River basin. This kept the land open and undeveloped while all around was subdivided in the early 1900s. However, it also means the site continues to face flooding after heavy rain. Stormwater management is a big issue for us, and was improved in 2018 and continues in 2022 with Inner West Council’s building of a rain garden with a chain of ponds on the northern side of our Gumbramorra Hall.
Recycling & litter reduction
- Our Return & Earn ‘reverse-vending machine’ increases community recycling, reduces litter and raises funds for charities with a 10c refund paid for each container.
- Mixed waste, that goes into garbage bins throughout our community centre, is sorted and recycled by the full waste-recovery service we commission.