- 6 chicken thigh fillets, each cut into 4 pieces
- 1 large onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
or half a can of tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
or 2 tablespoons curry paste
- 1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and chopped
- Choose one of the following:
− 1 cup of frozen peas
− 2 zucchinis, chopped into 2 cm pieces
− A handful of green beans, chopped into 2 cm pieces
- 1 cup chicken stock or water
- 1⁄2 cup coconut milk or 1 tablespoon of
plain flour mixed with 1⁄2 cup water
Sprinkle with chopped coriander for extra zing
Let’s get cooking
Heat the oil in a large saucepan. Add the onion and stir over low heat until the onions are soft and transparent (about 4-6 minutes).
Add the curry powder/curry paste, salt and sugar, and stir over low heat for another 2 minutes.
Add the tomatoes and the chicken. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring the whole time.
Stir in the stock/water, the carrots and the green vegetables. Put the lid on the saucepan and turn up the heat. Bring to the boil.
Once the curry is boiling, give it a good stir, put the lid back on and turn the heat down the lowest setting. Boil slowly for 15 minutes.
After 15 minutes take off the lid and stir in either the coconut milk or the flour and water mixture. Cook for another 5 minutes with the lid off.