- 1 tablespoon olive or other cooking oil
- 1 or 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 rasher bacon or a small piece of ham, finely sliced (optional)
- 3 sticks celery, chopped into small pieces
- 1 large carrot, chopped into small pieces
- 400g can butter, cannellini or other white beans
- 6 cups stock (you can make it up with
beef or chicken cubes)
- 400g can tomatoes
- ½ a small cabbage or 10 spinach leaves,
sliced or 2 zucchinis, chopped into small
pieces or about 12 chopped green beans
- ⅓ cup pasta: macaroni or broken up
To make the soup tastier and more nutritious, you can add one or both:
- Red pepper/capsicum, chopped
- Parsley, thyme, basil or other herb, chopped
Crusty or toasted bread
Let’s get cooking
Put the oil in a large saucepan and place over the stove on low heat. Add the garlic, onion and ham/bacon.
Stir them around until they are slightly cooked and beginning to brown a little.
Drain the can of beans.
Add the canned beans, celery and carrot into the saucepan and stir them all around with the onion, ham and garlic for two minutes.
Add the stock and the can of tomatoes and stir around.
Put the lid on the saucepan and turn the heat down to a slow simmer for about one hour.
After 40 minutes, add the cabbage or other vegetable (spinach, green beans, zucchinis etc), as well as the pasta. Bring back to the boil and cook slowly for another 20 minutes.
Test the flavour. Add some salt and pepper, to your taste.
Serve with the crusty or toasted bread.
Addi Road Food Pantry Marrickville and CamperdownAddi Road Food Pantry Marrickville and CamperdownAddi Road Food Pantry helps you stretch your budget and put healthy food on the table, while reducing your carbon footprint. We believe that access to safe, nutritious...
Addi Road Writers’ Festival 2022 is over for another year. All that’s left to do is pack up a few chairs and clean Gumbramorra Hall and the Greek Theatre, although we did most of that last Saturday night as a full moon rose over us. It really was some kind of great...
Congratulations to Safdar Ahmed for winning both Book of the Year AND the Multicultural NSW Award at the NSW Premiers’ Literary Awards last night. Safdar was a very recent guest at our Addi Road Writers’ Festival 2022 this last weekend, teaming up with his friends Jin...