- 1 tablespoon olive or other cooking oil
- 1 or 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 rasher bacon or a small piece of ham, finely sliced (optional)
- 3 sticks celery, chopped into small pieces
- 1 large carrot, chopped into small pieces
- 400g can butter, cannellini or other white beans
- 6 cups stock (you can make it up with
beef or chicken cubes)
- 400g can tomatoes
- ½ a small cabbage or 10 spinach leaves,
sliced or 2 zucchinis, chopped into small
pieces or about 12 chopped green beans
- ⅓ cup pasta: macaroni or broken up
To make the soup tastier and more nutritious, you can add one or both:
- Red pepper/capsicum, chopped
- Parsley, thyme, basil or other herb, chopped
Crusty or toasted bread
Let’s get cooking
Put the oil in a large saucepan and place over the stove on low heat. Add the garlic, onion and ham/bacon.
Stir them around until they are slightly cooked and beginning to brown a little.
Drain the can of beans.
Add the canned beans, celery and carrot into the saucepan and stir them all around with the onion, ham and garlic for two minutes.
Add the stock and the can of tomatoes and stir around.
Put the lid on the saucepan and turn the heat down to a slow simmer for about one hour.
After 40 minutes, add the cabbage or other vegetable (spinach, green beans, zucchinis etc), as well as the pasta. Bring back to the boil and cook slowly for another 20 minutes.
Test the flavour. Add some salt and pepper, to your taste.
Serve with the crusty or toasted bread.
Feeds 4Prep 10 minsCook 35 minsIngredients 1 kg pumpkin 2 onions, chopped 2 cloves garlic, chopped 2 tablespoons cooking oil 1 litre chicken or vegetable stock (you can make this using water and 2 stock cubes) 300 ml milk or coconut milk ½ teaspoon salt 1 teaspoon...
Feeds 4Prep 10 minsCook 20 minsIngredients 2 tablespoons cooking oil (olive oil is best) 1 medium to large onion, chopped 2 cloves garlic, crushed (optional) 2 x 440g tins of tomatoes 1⁄2 teaspoon salt 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper 1 teaspoon sugar 500g packet of pasta 1⁄2 cup...
Feeds 4Prep 10 minsCook 15 minsIngredients 2 x 420g cans of corn kernels(not creamed corn) ½ cup milk 2 eggs 1 cup self-raising flour ½ cup grated cheddar cheese ½ teaspoon salt ½ teaspoon pepper ½ teaspoon chilli powder (optional) 1 small onion, finely chopped...